The watershed restoration stream seeks to assess and enhance the health of our watersheds
Water is a keystone for societies and ecosystems. Today, only 4% of Arizona's historical streams are flowing, which means that we face the challenge of returning the remaining 96% to functional condition. We want to think and act at the watershed scale, transcending political boundaries and restoring relationships, with watershed treated as our scale of interaction and management.
Our partners have developed nature-based approaches to restoring hydrologic processes based on the experiences of the Cuenca Los Ojos (CLO) Foundation. CLO has constructed tens of thousands of berms, gabions, and small rock dams to replenish plunging groundwater levels. These structures slow the flow of water, stabilize eroding creeks, increase infiltration, and allow sediments to accumulate to the benefit of struggling native ecosystems. Discover the work of our partners:
The initial project of the Watershed Restoration team is a multi-year watershed effort in Patagonia designed to understand the issues facing the water security of the town of Patagonia and offer solutions to the problems identified.